Saturday, August 8, 2020

AL ADAMSON AUGUST

 

I just got this mega boxset from the good people at Severin Films.  It contains the complete works of maverick filmmaker Al Adamson, containing thirty-two movies spread out over fourteen Blu-Rays.  Rarely can you hold a man’s entire work in your hands, but Severin has given us this rare privilege. 

Now, are most of Adamson’s films “good”?  Hell no.  In fact, I can probably count the good movies Adamson made on one hand.  Despite that, I never turn down an opportunity to watch one of his pictures.  There is a true auteur feel to his work.  No matter what the quality may be, each one has those distinct Adamson touches that only he could’ve applied. 

Since it’s August, and I’m a sucker for alliteration, I’m making it Al Adamson August around here.  I’m going to try to work my way through the massive set this month.  Many of the films I’ve already reviewed on my other site, but I may repost some here and make an addendum or two with new thoughts if and when it’s applicable.  Also, I’ll be watching the movies in chronological order as opposed to the way they are featured in the box set, not because OCD prevents me from doing otherwise, but because I’m curious to see if and how Adamson’s vision, technique, and craft matures (or not) over time.

I sincerely doubt I’ll be able to cover all the films featured in the box set this month, but be sure, I will tackle them all eventually in due time.  First up will be a review of Adamson’s debut feature, the 1960 western he co-directed with his father, Victor:  Half Way to Hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment