Monday, November 12, 2018

THE GRINCH (2018) ** ½


I was brought up on Dr. Seuss books and Universal horror movies, so naturally, watching Chuck Jones’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas starring Boris Karloff is one of my favorite Christmas traditions.  In my book, you just can’t beat the combination of Boris Karloff and Dr. Seuss.  Eighteen years ago, Jim Carrey and Ron Howard tried, and what they came up with was an affront to everything I hold sacred about The Grinch.  That thing has got to be one of the ugliest, most garish, borderline unwatchable movies ever made.  

Because of that, I was extremely skeptical going into Illumination’s remake of The Grinch.  Even though I loved their version of The Lorax (my personal favorite Seuss book), I was still kind of dreading seeing this.  I had almost made up my mind to hate it on general principle.  In fact, I had a whole song planned out for my review set to the tune of “You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch” called, “You’re a Mean One, Mr. Mitch”.

I’m not going to lie, from the outset, it looked like that was the review I was going to write.  I mean, first of all, Pharrell Williams is the narrator.  I mean, what?  How can you go from Boris Karloff, one of the greatest screen voices of all time, to this guy?  His narration sounds way too “happy” (see what I did there?) and the rapping of Seuss’ lyrics would probably have the good doctor rolling in his grave.  

Once the film got rolling, a funny thing happened.  I, just like the Grinch got caught up in the spirit of the season.  I don’t think my heart grew three sizes or anything, but it certainly was warmer leaving the theater than it was going in. 

I already knew Benedict Cumberbatch wasn’t going to top Karloff’s version of the Grinch, but he does what he can to make it his own.  I think I finally got onboard with his characterization during the hilarious sequence where he’s dogged throughout the streets of Whoville by persistent Christmas carolers hellbent on spreading holiday cheer.  He has more interactions with his dog Max, which actually softens some of his edges, but once he gets to the big “I must keep Christmas from coming” speech, I had to acquiesce and admit he’s a perfectly fine Grinch.

The big centerpiece where the Grinch steals Christmas is rather inventive.  I liked that he used Ninja skills and James Bond gadgets to steal trees, presents, and decorations from the unsuspecting Whos.  This sequence does feel sort of rushed though, which is odd when you consider there’s a bunch of subplots here that aren’t featured in the original book or show.  Like The Lorax, these subplots have been added to pad out the running time to feature length.  Some of them work (like the Grinch’s run-ins with his overly cheery neighbor) better than others (like the needless stuff about Cindy Lou Who’s harried single mother), but it’s never at the expense of the core tale.  

Like the title character, the movie is rough around the edges, but its heart is in the right place, and I think in the end, that’s what really counts.  There are enough laughs, oddball asides, and generous helpings of genuine heart here to make it all work.  I can’t say this version will become a yuletide tradition in my household like the original.  What I can say is it should please most family moviegoers this holiday season. 

1 comment:

  1. I honestly have a soft spot for Jim Carrey's take on the Grinch, I feel like this one fundamentally misses the entire point of the character.

    ReplyDelete