Wednesday, May 3, 2017

ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS: THE MOVIE (2016) *** ½


When I was a teenager, I would obsessively watch Comedy Central.  My favorite show was Mystery Science Theater 3000, but I also really enjoyed Absolutely Fabulous too.  With both series getting a recent revitalization, I decided to check out the big screen Ab Fab movie.  Usually whenever they do these updates, they come up short (especially when it’s been two decades since the show was on the air).  I’m glad to report that the ongoing adventures of Patsy (Joanna Lumley) and Edina (Jennifer Saunders) are just as funny (if not more so) as their cult TV show.

We find Edina desperately trying to make ends meet while still clinging to her lavish lifestyle of excess.  When an opportunity to do PR for Kate Moss (herself) arises, she decides to go for it.  Naturally, things go wrong.  Edina sees Kate at a party and accidentally winds up throwing her into the Thames.  Kate is presumed dead and Edina is blamed, so she and Patsy escape London and go to the South of France where they intend to marry a millionaire so they can live out the rest of their days in style.

Absolutely Fabulous:  The Movie is just the movie you would hope it to be.  Patsy and Edina, who I always felt were a female version of Raoul Duke and Dr. Gonzo, get into one outrageous situation after another, consume a lot of drugs and alcohol, and make the audience laugh.  The duo slip effortlessly back into their roles and chemistry and timing is as sharp as ever.  The endless celebrity cameos are often very funny too (I wouldn’t dream of spoiling the best ones).

This might not win over any new fans.  If you’ve never seen the show, you might be scratching your head most of the time.  However, if you’re a fan like me, this is one of the rare reunions that live up to expectations.  (And for the record, I’m loving the new season Mystery Science Theater 3000.)

AKA:  Just Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment