Wednesday, December 8, 2021

ROCKY IV: ROCKY VS. DRAGO (2021) ****

When I heard Sylvester Stallone was preparing a director’s cut of Rocky IV, I got a little apprehensive.  Next to Star Wars, Rocky is my favorite film series of all time.  IV in particular is a favorite of mine, and I didn’t want to see it ruined.  While it isn’t perfect, it is fascinating for fans of the series as sort of an alternate universe version of the classic sequel.  It will never replace the original version by any means, but I’m glad it kept Stallone busy during the pandemic, even if the results are a bit of a mixed bag.  

First thing is first.  Yes, the robot is gone.  I knew this going in and had time to prepare myself, so it didn’t come as a total shock.  While I’m miffed the robot is nowhere to be seen, its absence helps tone down some of the zanier aspects of Rocky IV, which makes this director’s cut more in line tonally to Rocky V.  Some of the additions are nice (especially Apollo’s expanded role early on) and the final fight is a little more brutal (at least in the final round).  

Therein lies the problem:  You don’t want Rocky IV to be toned down.  You want it to revel in all its ‘80s excesses.  Not only is the robot gone, but also the entirety of Paulie’s birthday, which means his great birthday cake winds up on the cutting room floor.  Also, the following scene where Rocky gives Adrian her anniversary cake is gone.  These two consecutive scenes were always among my favorite unsung moments in the original version.  I mean, who eats TWO CAKES in the span of two minutes of screen time?  Not only that, but compliments to Rocky’s baker.  Their cake game was on point.  Imagine creating not one but TWO stellar cakes in the same day.  I like to see some of those contestants on those bake-off shows try to compete with that.

Like most director’s cuts, for every change I like there’s a change I don’t, which basically cancels it out. I liked Apollo’s new scenes, but Tony’s speech at his funeral was the real highlight.  I wish Sly had left that in as it sets up Tony’s mentor role later in the film.  I also dug the extra bit where the Soviets refuse Rocky the use of sparring partners, which explains why he trains alone in the middle of nowhere.  Whereas Carl Weathers’ role was greatly expanded here, Brigitte Neilsen’s role has been drastically reduced, possibly due to criticism Stallone faced for casting his wife in a sizeable role.  Dolph Lundgren gets a little more to do in this version, but there’s nothing really significant.   

The thing with Rocky IV is that it is like its main character:  It doesn’t have an ounce of fat on it.  The additions Stallone made to the director’s cut are nice for Rocky fans (of which, I’m one of the biggest), but ultimately, I have to side with Sly’s initial gut instinct to trim it down to the purest essentials.  At its heart, Rocky vs. Drago is still Rocky IV, so of course, I freaking love it.  Having said that, I don’t know if I’ll ever revisit it again.  It remains a fascinating, if flawed do-over, and I’m glad it exists.  

AKA:  Rocky IV:  Rocky vs. Drago:  The Ultimate Director’s Cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment