Wednesday, February 14, 2018

RUMBLE (2016) ***


From the generic poster, basic premise, and the participation of Gary Daniels, everything about Rumble suggest it's going to be nothing more than your standard issue “They Kidnapped My Girlfriend, So Now I Have to Participate in an Illegal Underground Fighting Tournament” movie.  To be fair, all of that was enough to get me interested in the first place.  I just wasn’t expecting… THIS.

Gary stars as a disgraced cage fighter who is hiding out in Mexico with his ex-hooker girlfriend (Sissi Fleitas).  Naturally, she’s kidnapped, and the only way Gary can get her back is to fight in a series of unsanctioned MMA matches.  In between fights, Gary tries to track down the mystery man who is orchestrating the illegal tournament and save his girlfriend.

Rumble starts off with a bit of an Unknown vibe.  When Gary’s girlfriend goes missing, no one at his hotel seems to remember either of them.  Eventually, he tracks down a bellhop who helps him on his quest to find his girlfriend.  

From here, I thought I could guess where the movie was going.  In fact, I predicted a major plot twist well before it happened.  However, the final twist caused my jaw to drop.  Very rarely do I get fooled by mysteries.  It’s safe to say that you won’t see the big surprise at the end coming.

I wouldn’t dream of spoiling it for you.  All I’ll say is that without that twist, Rumble would’ve been a decent, but forgettable actioner.  That twist is what elevates it into a goddamned work of art.

Daniels is one of those guys who gets better with age.  Here, he plays a character who has been beaten up by life and he does so admirably enough.  He’s especially good in the last five minutes of the movie.  I guarantee you’ll be just as shocked as Gary was during this scene.  This is truly one of his best films and his legions of fans certainly won’t want to miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment