Sunday, September 27, 2020

CLEANING OUT THE DVR: THE SIMPSONS MOVIE (2007) **


This had been sitting in my DVR ever since July 22nd, 2017.  It was taped as part of an HBO free preview that also included Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates.  I’m not sure why I even bothered since I haven’t watched The Simpsons on a regular basis since the early ‘90s.  I was a big fan when it first came on.  I bought the cassette tape, said “Don’t have a cow” a lot, and wore the t-shirts (which were banned in school because they had the word “hell” on it).  

The appeal of The Simpsons when I was younger was that it was more adult that your average cartoon.  However, once Beavis and Butt-Head and South Park came along, it began to look a little lightweight in comparison, so I stopped watching.  (I was always a bigger fan of Matt Groening’s Life is Hell, anyway.) Aside from a handful of cinematic looking animation sequences, it just feels like an overlong episode than a full-length movie.  The plot (which involves a dome being placed over Springfield) doesn’t really feel like it’s big enough to sustain a theatrical movie either.  The various subplots likewise fall a little short.  The idea of Flanders becoming a father figure to Bart might’ve worked, but it feels like deleted scenes from an episode that were crammed in there to pad the running time.  The same could be said about the stuff with Lisa finding a boyfriend.

That’s not to say there aren’t a few laughs here.  I liked Homer’s reaction to the Itchy and Scratchy movie, and Bart’s nude skateboard ride allows them to get away with a shot that wouldn’t fly on network TV.  It’s just the laughs kind of dry up once the “A” plot takes hold.  Another disappointing thing is the fact that the usually great Albert Brooks is pretty much wasted as the villain.  While the casting is inspired, he isn’t given much to do.  I mean if you’re going to do a movie of one of the most popular TV shows of all time, you should probably go big or go home. 

I guess for Simpsons die-hards, none of the above will matter as they probably already saw this thirteen years ago.  I'm sure it hit all the notes they were expecting it to hit.  If it didn’t win back this fallen fan, it definitely won’t convert any new ones to the fold.

1 comment:

  1. Eh I always thought South Park was vastly inferior to the Simpsons and nowhere near as funny or clever. I think the show is still damn good and i'd easily give this movie three stars no question. I feel like this film did go big.

    ReplyDelete