Hey guys, have you heard about this Backrooms movie everyone is talking about? Well, it was all sold out at the theater, so I watched this one on Tubi instead. I admit I’m not all that familiar with the whole “Backrooms” concept. The only Backrooms I’ve ever been to were located behind the beaded curtain in the back of the video store. But I digress.
Anyway, an unscrupulous realtor strongarms his client into buying the old Amityville house. After he closes the deal, the realtor finds himself trapped inside the house with no way to escape. Later, his boss arrives at the house to check on him and gets lost inside too.
I guess the whole Backrooms deal involves someone being trapped inside an endless loop of liminal spaces. I suppose the mundane look and long static shots are part of what goes into making a Backrooms thing work. However, there were times I thought my Tubi had frozen up on me because the takes were held so long.
I can’t say the Backrooms concept works for me as a whole, but I can see how it could appeal to some people. I can certainly understand why the idea of combining a Backrooms video with an Amityville movie would appeal to indie filmmakers with limited means. It shows you can take a simple premise and make a watchable movie with a minimum number of locations, a small cast (there are no women to be found in this one) and mere pocket change at their disposal. That said, this never really approaches becoming a “good” movie. The acting is bad and the ending is awful. Still, it’s all downright Shakespearean compared to some of the other low-budget Amityville flicks that are out there. You also have to deal with a lot of cheap-looking news reports that help to pad out the running time. (These kinds of scenarios are almost a given in fake Amityville rip-offs nowadays.)
The burly realtor gets the best line of the movie when he says, “Amityville sucks!”
No comments:
Post a Comment