I make no secret about my disdain for M. Night Shyamalan’s movies. I’ve never liked one of his films. Usually, when the premise is good, the ending is either predictable (The Sixth Sense) or just flat-out sucks (Signs). The ones I’ve come closest to enjoying are the ones that are consistently goofy throughout (like The Happening and Old). Then, there’s the ones that are terrible all the way through (like Unbreakable and The Village). Well, I guess the law of averages dictates I’d be bound to like a M. Night joint at some juncture.
Dave Bautista approaches a little girl (Nikki Amuka-Bird) playing in the woods and begins acting super creepy. She runs and tells her two dads (Jonathan Groff and Ben Aldridge) who lock the cabin door. Soon, Dave’s “friends” show up to the cabin stating they have important “work” to do. They eventually break in, tie the family up, and tell them they have to make a sacrifice in order to save the world.
Knock at the Cabin starts off like a siege movie with the dads doing everything they can to stop the intruders, which isn’t much since the cabin isn’t exactly Fort Knox. I don’t want to spoil the best parts, which tend to be a tad philosophical, but the central crux of the story is quite compelling. Most of Shyamalan’s work has a great beginning and a crummy ending or vice versa. I guess the surprising thing here (there isn’t really a “Shyamalan Twist” in this one) is that the film is at its best when it’s just a bunch of people sitting around and talking.
M. Night gets a lot of mileage out of Dave Bautista. He plays a gentle giant that sometimes borders on Lenny from Of Mice and Men, but there’s always a possibility he could snap at any point. Groff and Aldridge are quite good too, as is Amuka-Bird (although she isn’t given much to do besides cower in fear for the last two acts).
So, chalk this one up as the first M. Night movie I enjoyed. Maybe he’s got another winner up his sleeve. Despite his track record with me, he still displays enough potential in his films that keep me (sometimes foolishly) coming back for more. I guess whenever M. Night knocks, I’ll still answer.
No comments:
Post a Comment