Thursday, December 14, 2023

TUBI CONTINUED… AXEMAS (2017) ***

David (Dillon Weishuhn) works at a storage unit facility and invites his girlfriend Sarah (Ashley Campbell) and some friends to his job for an after-hours Christmas party.  Little do they know there’s also a killer in a Santa suit roaming the corridors.  Since the place is on lockdown until morning, that means the friends will have to do all they can to survive the not-so silent night. 

Axemas is only twenty-five minutes long, and makes for some easy, breezy holiday horror viewing.  It gets right to the point, with an expedited set-up and a no-nonsense approach.  The mazelike corridors of the storage facility make a great location for something like this too.  Campbell also proves to be a strong Final Girl, as she is more than capable of going toe to toe with the killer Saint Nick.

Although I thoroughly enjoyed Axemas, I have to say, it all feels a bit too rushed.  The kills just sort of happen, and while the murder sequences are appropriately bloody and/or funny (Santa shoves a pole through a pair of lovebirds and quips “Welcome to the North Pole!”), they probably would’ve worked better with more of a suspenseful build-up.  While I applaud the desire to get right to the action, it just makes me wonder if there could’ve been a solid seventy-five-minute version of this somewhere in the editing room.  

I know, I know.  Usually, I am all for shorter running times, but that’s only if the movie is painful or inept.  Axemas, on the other hand, offers up a reasonable amount of fun and boasts some unexpected directorial touches.  (There’s a solid split-screen sequence.)  This is one of the rare occasions where a holiday slasher left me wanting more, but in a good way.  Luckily for me, there’s a sequel, so I guess I know what I’ll be reviewing next.

No comments:

Post a Comment