Thursday, March 7, 2024

CHILDREN OF THE CORN (2023) *

Nearly two decades after helming Ultraviolet, Hollywood has finally let Kurt Wimmer out of Director Jail for this eleventh (and second reboot) Children of the Corn flick.  (Or… twelve of you count the short film, Disciple of the Crow.)  Now that I’ve seen it, I have to wonder how long Hollywood will put him away for this time. 

Well. the GMOs were SUPPOSED to make the corn grow in a small Nebraska town.  However, the crops started dying and now the adults have no choice but to bulldoze it all down.  This pisses off the kids in town because as we all know… children LOVE corn.  They soon turn evil and get revenge on those pesky adults.

I guess the commentary here is that the kids are trying to save their town (planet) by offing the adults who have screwed up the place for the next generation.  I mean, why else would you make the main Corn Kid look like Greta Thunberg?  However, it’s handled so lazily and clumsily that I had to wonder if I was reading into something that wasn’t even intended to be there in the first place. 

Watching this, you would never know it was from the guy who made the classic Equilibrium.  From the looks of things, any old DTV hack could’ve cobbled this together.  The gore is shitty too (the eyeball scene is fucking terrible) and the new He Who Walks (nee Behind the Rows) looks like a shitty CGI corn husk version of Groot.  The only good bit is a brief clip from the “It’s a Good Life” episode of The Twilight Zone playing on TV. 

How they got eleven movies out of an eleven-page story, I’ll never know.  There are so many unfilmed stories in Stephen King’s bibliography, and yet they keep cranking Corny Kid movies out.  Then again, whenever they make a new one, I watch them.  So, maybe I’m part of the problem.

I’d love to say that after eleven times, they finally got it right, but… Aw, shucks.  Is this ever bad.  It’s not even good in a corny way.  I mean there was a kernel of a good idea here, but it never popped.  In fact, I… (It was at this point in the review the Children of the Corn stealthily grabbed their farm implements, carefully snuck behind your faithful movie reviewer and murdered him for making too many bad corn puns.)

1 comment:

  1. I don't think it was bad personally just average, it had some cool bits(I actually liked the eyeball scene) and i thought the acting was mostly fine, still better then Revelation and the 2009 film IMO.

    I think most of the COTC films are pretty good especially part 3.

    ReplyDelete