Monday, October 19, 2020

THE GO-GO’S (2020) ***

I know I was only going to watch and review horror movies during the month of October.  However, I happened to be in the room when my wife put this on and being a huge fan of The Go-Go’s, I got sucked into it.  Turns out, it’s a solid documentary on the one of the best bands of the ‘80s. 

I don’t think there’s anything revolutionary here from a cinematic perspective.  It’s all pretty cut and dry.  The band members are seen in single camera interviews that are intercut with performance footage, music videos, and still photographs.  As a movie, it won’t knock your socks off.

For fans of the band, it will be a breezy trip down memory lane.  If you’re a fan like me, you’ve probably already seen their episode of VH-1 Behind the Music.  If that’s the case, you pretty much know the whole story behind the rise and fall and re-rise of The Go-Go’s.  What gives this documentary an edge over that show is the abundance of video footage of their early days as a punk band.  It’s really cool seeing snippets of their punkier days when they weren’t as polished and refined as their later pop-friendly incarnation.  Unlike the VH-1 special, this doc doesn’t have any footage from the infamous Go-Go’s sex tape.  Bummer.  I guess their lips are sealed when it comes to their tawdry backstage antics. 

If you’re looking for a deep dive into the band, this ain’t it.  If you’re looking for gossip, there’s some of that, but not much.  The fact that it ends with the band members reunited in the studio writing and performing a new song precludes the fact they won’t be trashing each other (too much).  I wish they had also focused on everyone’s solo efforts, but it’s understandable seeing as the film’s main focus is the band.

While it may not be the definitive documentary on The Go-Go's, fans like me are sure to be head over heels about it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment