Tuesday, September 24, 2024

LET’S GET PHYSICAL: MY MOM’S A WEREWOLF (1989) *

FORMAT:  DVD (REWATCH)

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

(As posted on May 13th, 2011)

John Saxon stars as a pet shop owner who’s also a werewolf.  He seduces a lonely housewife and mother (Susan Blakely) and bites her on the toe; slowly but surely turning her into a werewolf.  Her daughter and her horror movie nerd best friend then try to help reverse her curse before she becomes a werewolf permanently.
 
My Mom’s a Werewolf was obviously trying to ride the coattails of the '80s horror-comedy craze of such films as Teen Wolf and My Best Friend’s a Vampire.  I actually dig this subgenre, partially for nostalgic reasons.  But even I don’t have enough love for the subgenre to enjoy this mess.
 
First off, the flick just isn’t funny.  I mean it’s pretty sad when your big comedic guns are Ruth Buzzi and Marcia Wallace.  And I know I use some pretty bad puns to write these reviews but the puns in this flick are awful.  (Sample dialogue:  “I want you to be my were-wife!”)  Ugh.  When a potentially funny gag comes around (like when Blakely franticly tries to shave her legs) they just keep hitting you over the head with it until it just gets annoying.
 
And the “horror” stuff is pathetic.  You have to seriously wonder if the people who made this movie ever saw a werewolf movie in their life.  I mean when’s the last time you saw a werewolf that DIDN’T change during a full moon?  And the final werewolf make-up is crappy as fuck.  They’re nothing more than a cheap Halloween mask with lots of fake hair.  It’s pretty sad.
 
There were some things I liked.  I liked John Saxon’s performance.  And the movie geek character who reads Famous Monsters, Fangoria, and Gorezone and has posters from other Crown International pictures like Galaxina and Prime Evil on her wall.  And of course, the ‘80s fashions were appropriately cheesy. 
 
Other than that, My Mom’s a Werewolf is a dog of a film.  Sure, that’s a bad pun.  It’s no worse than the puns in the movie though.
 
AKA:  My Mum’s a Werewolf.

No comments:

Post a Comment