Thursday, October 25, 2018

THE 31 MOVIES OF HORROR-WEEN: GODZILLA: PLANET OF THE MONSTERS (2018) **


I’m not really an anime guy.  The only anime series I ever flat out loved was Kekko Kamen.  Everything else from Akira to Vampire Hunter D sort of left me cold.  However, when Netflix announced a trilogy of anime Godzilla features, I was intrigued.  Being a fan of all things G-Man (not to mention his ‘70s cartoon), I figured I’d give this series a whirl.

Earth is on the brink of destruction from Godzilla’s constant kaiju battles.  The last remaining humans board a spaceship and head to the stars looking for an inhabitable planet.  After a fruitless search, the crew decides to return to Earth to reclaim their planet from Godzilla.

I’ve never been a fan of the whole anime style, but this doesn’t look all that bad.  The design on Godzilla is decent enough and if he was removed from the action, he would’ve looked at home in a live-action movie.  (Those who criticized Godzilla’s tubby frame in the 2014 American remake will be disappointed as it looks like The G-Man’s put on even more weight here.)  I also liked the design on the various spaceships and flying motorcycles (although the “power suits” are a bit clunky looking).  

However, when it comes to traditional monster mashing, the film is sorely lacking.  The dragon monsters, though nicely animated, are never much of a threat and feel more like video game foes the characters have to defeat before working their way up the boss (or in this case, Godzilla).  Had there been a monster for Godzilla to fight, or at the very least, a building he could’ve stepped on, this might’ve gone down a lot smoother.

The human scenes in a live-action Godzilla movie are always the slowest and most boring things about it.  That feeling is amplified in an animated flick.  I just didn’t feel anything for the characters.  I know the same thing can be said for any other Godzilla film, but the animated characters never quite get you absorbed in their plight.  The most memorable character is the hard ass captain, who also has the best line of the movie:  “In times like these I find myself jealous of those who have gods to pray to!”

AKA:  Godzilla:  Monster Planet.

Are you craving more reviews of horror sequels?  Well, you can read all about them in my latest book, The Bloody Book of Horror, which is currently on sale at Amazon.  Get your copy  HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment