Monday, September 18, 2023

TUBI CONTINUED… SHARK SIDE OF THE MOON (2022) ***

Shark Side of the Moon is a Tubi Original made in conjunction with The Asylum, the folks that gave us the Sharknado series.  If this is an example of the quality entertainment that we can expect from the teaming of two titans, then I say, sign me up for more!

Russian scientists develop killer hammerhead shark men to breed as soldiers.  When they get loose, the scientists lead them into a space shuttle and blast the shark men off to the moon.  Decades later, an American team of astronauts in charge of setting up a colony on the moon, crash lands and are attacked by shark men.  But not just shark men.  There are also shark women.  Which can only mean one thing:  Sharks with boobs.  That alone is worth Three Stars in my book.

I love it when a movie shows me something I’ve never seen before.  Whenever the pacing started to drag or the dialogue scenes threatened to go on too long, I’d see a pair of shark boobs, and all was right with the world.  Not since the duck boobs scene in Howard the Duck have we seen something like this.  Now I don’t want to oversell it or anything as we don’t see any full-on shark boobs exactly, but the shark women DO wear crop tops and skimpy halter tops, so there is no shortage of shark babe cleavage throughout the picture.

Oh, and did I mention the Russian scientist had a half-shark daughter who knows Kung Fu and does moon bounces over shark men while engaging in battle?  Or when they stumble upon a hive of shark babies and decide to destroy them, the movie stops briefly for a sensitive pro-life discussion?  Or the Jaws homage that made me straight-up LOL?

Folks, when you watch Shark Side of the Moon, you will believe a shark man can drive a car.  Or at least the very least, a moon buggy.

Now, I haven’t watched an Asylum flick in a while, so I was somewhat surprised to see that the CGI shark men weren’t too shabby looking.  I also liked the way the shark fins cut through the surface of the moon as they chased the astronauts around.  The spaceship special effects and moon base models are all fairly solid too.

The premise is silly, but kind of fun.  However, Shark Side of the Moon stops short of being a classic, thanks to the overly jokey (and unfunny) crew members, who are pretty annoying.  The editing gets a little whiplash-inducing at the end too, but since it all ends with a woman giving birth to a baby shark (doo, doo, doo, doo) I can’t be too hard on it. 

Bottom Line:  This is the best shark man movie since Hammerhead:  Shark Frenzy, and that’s high praise indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment